Thursday, March 15, 2012

Strawberry kesari

Nowadays the sweet tooth for me and my husband are growing bigger and we are craving dessert after each meal. I bought some fresh strawberries the other day (nope..we are not great fans of strawberries and my kiddo is one step ahead..she doesn't like any fruits at all) with the idea of making strawberry pancakes or adding them to fruit salad with apple and bananas. I made the fruit salad with half of the strawberries and even managed to sneak a couple of them in my kiddo's lunchbox (knowing it will go anywhere but my child's mouth). I didn't want to waste them and decided to make a dessert with the remaining fruits. As I expected my husband also suggested the same and specifically he wanted me to make strawberry kesari which I have tried only once a long time back. I had the same thing in mind so I readily accepted, although my response was "OK..I don't want to waste the fruits, but you should really have control on how much sweet you are eating". Presenting the yummy, sweet and pinkalicious strawberry kesari..

Things you'll need:
Semolina (rava) - 3/4 cup
Strawberry pulp - 1/2 cup
 (You can extract the pulp by grinding the strawberries as it is or with some milk, and you could filter it if you don't want the seeds in your mouth while enjoying the kesari )
Sugar - 3/4 cup or less (You might not want the sugar to overpower the flavor of the fruit)
Ghee (clarified butter) - 5 tbsp
Cashew nuts - 1tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp

Yield - 4 Servings

Method:

Step1:
Roast the semolina with a tsp of ghee until nice aroma from the semolina arises.  On a pan, add 3 tbsp of ghee and fry the cashew nuts and raisins until the raisins are puffed and the nuts are slightly browned. Add the water.











Step2:
Bring the water to a boil and add the semolina stirring continuously to avoid lump formation. Reduce the heat to minimum, add the strawberry pulp to the the mixture and stir well until it gets absorbed well.

Step3:
Add the sugar and stir. Adding sugar will make the kesari slightly watery but once the sugar gets incorporated well the consistency changes, so nothing to worry.  When the sugar gets mixed well and the kesari leaves the sides of the pan, Switch off  the stove and add the remaining ghee and stir well.




Yummy strawberry kesari is ready for you to enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment