Saturday, March 10, 2012

Colocasia honey drops (seppankizhangu thaen mittai)

A dessert? with colocasia, no way...that's what I thought when my husband suggested this recipe. As I have mentioned in my previous blogs my husband always encourages me to try out new recipes. But lately he has also started inventing new ideas and substituting base recipes with different ingredients. One such invention is the Colocasia honey drops. I didn't have the confidence that it will turn out well until I tasted it myself. Trust me...your guests would never find that it is colocasia until you spill the secret out. Now to the recipe...

Things you'll need:
Colocasia - 2
all purpose flour (optional) - 1 tbsp
sugar - 3/4 cup
water - 1/2 cup
oil - for shallow frying the colocasia

Yield - 12 - 15 pieces

Method:

Step1:
Pressure cook the colocasia to two or three whistles or place them in boiling water until they are soft. Peel the skin off and mash them until there are no lumps, to a soft dough-like consistency. If they are watery and sticky you might add the all purpose flour to reduce the wetness.

Step2:
Shape them into discs and shallow fry in small batches in medium flame. Make sure they are brown throughout and not over burnt. Prepare the sugar syrup to one-string consistency.














Step3:
Place the discs in the hot sugar syrup and wait until the discs absorb the syrup well. Transfer them into another container and once the syrup cools down, pour the remaining syrup over them. Keeping them in the hot syrup for too long might result in breaking of the discs.

Step 4:
Allow it to cool down. You can either serve them directly or by adding some coconut flakes or unsweetened coconut powder on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment