Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Salmon Wellington

I am so fond of these cooking channels..whether I cook all the recipes they show, that's a different thing. But I like to watch them and use some of their tips, and experiment with their recipes using my own ingredients...
I was watching one of such programs run by my favorite host. She was preparing a dish called beef wellington with some potatoes and a salad. The ingredients were very simple and the recipe was mouth watering but for one thing..beef!! I don't cook or eat beef, so i thought that this might be one of the 'jus watch n enjoy' recipes. But the host gave an idea towards the end of the show, that this recipe can also be cooked with salmon or chicken..wow!! those were like magic words for me..

I told about this recipe to my husband. I just knew what words would pop out from his mouth the next minute..let's do it!! and that's what he said..
We decided to start off with salmon. Whenever I tried to marinade and fry salmon it would change into a hard rock salmon once it is cooled..and I tried an alternate method (quoted by my husband after he watched a cooking show). I shallow fried the salmon for couple of minutes and then baked it for a few minutes..viola!! the salmon turned really soft..
So i knew this recipe would turn fine with salmon since it includes baking..
Over to the recipe..
Things you need:
Salmon fillets - 2 (each one the size of your palm)
Puff pastry sheet - 1 (I used pepperidge farm brand)
Onion - 1
Button mushrooms - 10 (can also use some greens like watercress or spinach)
chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
turmeric powder - a pinch
ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
coriander leaves - two sprigs
salt as needed
oil- for sauteing vegetables and shallow frying fish
egg wash - optional (one egg beaten with some water)

For marinade:
chilli powder - 1tbsp
turmeric powder - a pinch
ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
salt as needed
lemon juice - 1tsp

Serves 2 people

Method:
Step 1:
Clean the fish fillets and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Marinade the fish with the marinade ingredients and rest it in the refrigerator for atleast an hour. Thaw the puff pastry sheet to room temperature.

Step 2:
Finely chop the onions and thinly slice the mushrooms. Pour some oil in a pan and saute the onions, ginger garlic paste and the mushrooms in order. When  mushrooms turn soft, add turmeric powder, chilli powder coriander powder and salt. Close the lid and cook the vegetables into a thick gravy.

Step 3:
Shallow fry the fish fillets for a couple of minutes on each side. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Divide the thawed puff pastry sheet into four sections. Cut each fish fillets into two. Place some mushroom onion gravy on each puff pastry section, then place the fish on top of the vegtables, cover the sheet from all the sides, and brush with some egg wash. When all the wellingtons are finished, place them on a greased baking dish covered side down. Brush the remaing egg wash on the top side of the wellingtons, and bake them for 20-30 mins or until they turn brown.


The next step is the step they take into your tastebuds!!! ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment